City Girl and Small Town Life


     I never knew Atlanta, Texas existed before we moved here. When Jacob first told me about it I said, "as in like Atlanta, Georgia??" Yes I am a Texan, born and raised (well for the majority of my life), and I am proud of it! But I have always been a city girl and always will be at heart.
    
 When Jacob and I got married we lived in Austin in an apartment for the first year. He was finishing up his last year in school, and I found a part-time job as a Nanny for a family with 2 kids. People might think that Austin is a terrible place to live with all the traffic and the "hippies", but to be honest once we got accustomed to living there we didn't even think anything of it. Sure there was traffic, people didn't know what a blinker was, and there was some weird people, but we were close to every thing, we had a great congregation there (one at which my dad met my mom in and even got married at), lots of friends near by, and it's the capitol of Texas which is also the Longhorns' nation! We really enjoyed living there and miss the people too. But after we found out I was pregnant Jacob realized we were going to need a real job to support our future family. I will never forget when he decided to tell me that he was going to most likely take the job in this place called Atlanta, Texas....a place we didn't even try out at, a place I had never been to, and never knew of. Jacob had known of the Atlanta Church of Christ and had actually spoken for them a few times in the past, so they knew of him as well and they had supported him through school. 

We were in the car on the way to Cracker Barrel to eat with my family who was on their way home afterwards, and Jacob decided to break it to me. I was pregnant, my hormones were going crazy, and I was already upset I was going to have to say goodbye to my family. So I did what any typical pregnant woman would do in my situation...I started balling. I've had to move many times in the past and I remember what it's like to be somewhere new and how it can take some time to adjust. Jacob was understanding and was real easy going about it all, but he felt pretty strongly in his decision. I wasn't mad that he was choosing this for us, because I wanted what was best for my family in the future as well, but I was going to miss every one dearly. I could see how Jacob sincerely felt that this is what God had planned for us and our new family. My vision of having Natalie and raising her in Austin her first two years of her life was hard to let go of whenever you have things planned out. And I had some great friends who were preachers wives in whom I could relate to, and we had all gotten very close. I knew I was going to miss every one and have to start all over being a new mom and trying to make friends in a new town-- a small town. Another reason of concern was my OB/GYN situation. I was upset I had to change and find someone new to deliver my baby. Now being on the other side of things, I see how God knew what was best for us and I found my midwife who is a member of the church as well, so every thing worked out better than I could have imagined.
    
      So after moving down here I found out how welcoming the congregation was and we felt at home within a short amount of time. The town here is nice and small but it has a walmart! That's all we really need right? Ha! Do I enjoy living here? Yes I do. But there are times I miss living in a big city. What makes it easier on me is we only live 25 miles from Texarkana and 50 miles from Shreveport, so I guess I can survive. ;) I think it would have been a lot harder to adjust to living here if it wasn't for us being close to bigger cities. It's almost like a security thing I guess you could say. Jacob on the other hand was born and raised in the boondocks so he loves it here! (Not saying Atlanta is in the "boondocks" but it's more to what he grew up with...haha.) 

     Even though I lived in Texas most of my life, living in a small town in East Texas is actually a little different than I am use to. For one thing it is a lot more country, almost every one who lives here has an accent. Hey, I was born in Texas and I hardly even have an accent. Jacob had one when I met him but I think I've rubbed off on him some because he definitely doesn't sound like he use to. Second thing- cowgirl boots. Let me just say this, you will never see me wearing cowgirl boots as long as I'm alive. I am not a country girl and they just aren't my style. Sure I've seen girls pull them off with cute outfits, but that isn't me and never will be. I could live here in Atlanta for a long time and I know for a fact it won't change a thing. Thirdly- there are pine trees, lots of trees every where and I love that. Mississippi has trees like this and I loved it there in Hattiesburg, so that kind of reminds me of the time I lived there. Fourthly- there are more 4 way stops then there are red lights, so when I actually get to a red light I almost run them out of habit! It has happened more than once to me and Jacob both, and that is definitely a habit I don't want to keep.


     Now there are both pros and cons to living in a small town. Here are just some that have stuck out to me in the year and a half that we have lived here: 

Pros- Trees every where are one of the things that make a beautiful and peaceful place to me. 
-There isn't much traffic, so a less busy town makes for a less stressful outing. It's nice whenever you have been somewhere that has just been a bit overwhelming, you can just come home to the peacefulness a small town can bring. 
-Whenever you forgot something from the grocery store or need to grab something real quick it's not such a huge hassle (most of the time), you can run to the store near by, grab it and be home within a reasonable amount of time. 
-We are only an hour and fifteen minuets from his parents house and that has REALLY come in handy while living here with their new grandbaby. ;)
-And over-all the people have been friendly wherever we go. 
Cons- For those who have lived in Atlanta for years or there whole life, so every one knows every one's business pretty much. Sometimes I am not sure if I am cool with that or not, it's almost like "town gossip". 
-Whenever you wanna have a shopping day all you have is an outlet store to go to. I am not trying to complain because I am thankful that we do have a place nearby that we can run to, but growing up your whole life living amongst everything right where you need it, it can take some getting use to.
- It always seems like the one day that you don't wanna get dressed you just wanna throw on some jeans, a t-shirt, throw up your hair, no make-up and run to the store....you happen to see EVERY ONE you know!! That has been the one thing that I am not use to, and I still dodge someone if I see them and I'm not "feeling up" to saying hello. Ha! (shhhhh). 
- You only have a few select restaurants to choose from and the majority are fast food. Thankfully we have a local yummy Mexican food place that I love, and a new Italian place to eat at as well.

     I guess growing up in bigger cities has spoiled me a bit but I am definitely thankful for Atlanta because I know of towns that are much smaller, so it could be much worse! It has been a growing experience, trying to find people that I can relate to being a 100% girlie-girl and now a preacher's wife. It has brought me closer to my husband during this process and I am thankful for that. We have a lot of sweet people at our congregation and I have become close with quite a few. It's weird for me to think that this is the place Natalie will call home when she is older. Even though she technically wasn't born IN Atlanta, this was the first home she came home to, her first church home as well. So no matter how long we live here or if we do ever move away (hopefully not anytime soon) this town will always have a special place in our hearts. It's only been a year and a half and we have become more attached quicker than I would have thought. We hope to stay here many more years, make new friends, expand our family, grow together spiritually with our church family, and help as many people in the community as we can to get to heaven. I pray every day and thank God that He given us this town to live in, with this church family. We seriously couldn't have asked for a better first work. Moving from Austin to Atlanta might have been a sacrifice in some ways, but it's a sacrifice I am glad we made and one that I don't regret making no matter how difficult it might be adjusting. I am thankful God is watching over me and my family and I am excited to see the plan He has for us in doing His work here in the small town of Atlanta. :)




     
     
     

     

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your first blog post so much! It reminds me of our new work and small town life in Waynesboro. God is so good how He provides and cares for us as His children. He truly loves us. I cried like a baby moving from Hattiesburg, but no doubt it was the right and best decision. I know God will continue to bless you, Jacob, and Natalie as you serve and live for Him. In Christian Love, Breanne Sullivan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Well thank you so much for taking the time to read it. Glad someone enjoyed it! :) Yes I know exactly what you mean and how hard it can be but you are right God does know what decision is best even if we don't seem to understand in that time. :) I hope God blesses you and your husband as well. :)

    Christian Love,
    Jessica (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming a Mom - the best job in life.

The Loss of Everett Austin Rutledge- Part 1