Becoming a Family of Four - Part 1

Wow, our time is quickly coming to an end as a family of three. It is really starting to hit me how much things are about to change! I know that his addition will be only the best that we could imagine, but at the same time, I am kind of sad that Natalie won't be the only child anymore. I recently had a mini break down just thinking about it one evening (Is that normal? I hope so). She has been ours for 2 years now, and it's been the best 2 years of our lives so far. Sometimes it's hard to fathom how life can get better...but I hear it does! God has blessed us with more than we could have ever dreamed of just by giving us her, and now He is graciously blessing us with another one to love and to raise in our family. Not to mention being blessed with a son now! My heart is so very grateful beyond words and I will be eternally thankful for these two blessings in my life.

I've become so use to having just one kid and knowing what she needs, how she feels, how to fix her boo-boo's, what she likes and doesn't like - we have had 2 years to figure this out. Yes, she is still changing as she grows--and my--is she growing fast! But I would say we know our daughter pretty well. We have a routine when we go out in public, even daddy has got the hang of it, for the most part ;). It has become so much easier with her being a toddler, which is why we decided we wanted to bring another one into our family. But with one, there is less we have to worry about bringing on outings or trips; we can trade out and give each other breaks; and, with her being able to talk so well, she can tell us what she wants, needs, and more! We are still new to the "being potty trained" thing and having to constantly remember to ask her if she needs to go and take her regardless while we are in public. But she is doing great and I am so glad we were able to get her out of diapers before we have another little one who will need them.

It's crazy to think that 2 years ago she was the one who changed our lives forever. We never knew how much we could love someone until we had her. When she was born, we were prepared as much as we could be, yet so many things came naturally with the love we had for her. We put her life and health before our own without even thinking twice about it. She is the center of our attention (and everyone else's) and she knows it! She was the first grand baby, great-grand baby and great-great grand baby on both sides. She is definitely one loved little girl! (Not to mention all of the other "grandparents" she has in the church.) The bond we have as a family of 3 has been so great. For the longest time I was so content with our lives I couldn't have imagined it any different! She is the daughter I always dreamed of having and she is downright perfect in every way (with a dash of stubbornness). ;)

But then there came a time as she grew older and became more of a toddler and less of a baby, that "the ache" for having a baby slowly grew in me. I was so happy with our lives but at the same time I felt like maybe this was the time to start another chapter. I am so thankful God blessed us with her for a year-and-a-half before we got pregnant again. That time has been so precious to us and I wouldn't trade it for the world! The age difference will be perfect. We had time with Natalie to enjoy and experience all the "firsts" that she had these 2 years (and is continuing to have).  We were able to enjoy her and only her, for a perfect time. She is old enough to where she can understand what is going on (for the most part), she can help me take care of him, go get things for mommy--just like a big sister should. It's been so sweet to see her understand more and more as it is getting nearer and to see how excited she is when she exclaims, "I'm a big stister"!  Two years apart isn't too close but isn't too far apart either. I pray that they can have a close bond as they grow up together and that he will always look up to his "big stister".

Having said all that, this does not mean I am not excited for my son or will love him any less than I love her. It's crazy to think that, when he is born, the same love I have for her will be the same love I have for him. It will be instantaneous. He will fit perfectly into our lives and after a while it will be like he's always been there. But I hope a small part of me will always remember the special time and bond we got to have with our Natalie, no matter how many children God blesses us with. There is just something so precious about it and I hope and pray I can always hold onto that. 

I think all first-born kids have a special place in their mommy and daddy's hearts. I never knew how much that would be until I had one. She has taught us how to love freely, to accept everyone, to sacrifice, to forgive quickly, to get back up when you fall down, to never give up! She has shown us what our purpose in life is and that is getting her soul to Heaven! She may never know how hard this new adjustment in our lives might be for me and she may really never know how special she is to us, but I hope one day, when the time is right, she'll know. I know we are going to have our fights, our ups-and-downs, our mood swings, she might even "hate" us at one point in her life. But, I hope she is patient with us as we learn with her, the new things in life she will face, as we try our best to direct her in the way she should go. I pray one day she can know the place that she holds in our hearts, and I pray that she can experience that herself one day, with a little one who will call her -"Mommy".






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming a Mom - the best job in life.

The Loss of Everett Austin Rutledge- Part 1